This post will probably be updated over the next few days:
There are actually TWO contests: one for the cover art and one for the interior art. Today’s post is about the Crown and Jewel Cover Art Contest:
The Crown and Jewel Cover Art Contest
Contest 1: Produce a 4-color cover for the novel Crown and Jewel by Jeri Massi
- All submissions must be reproducible on a 6 x 9 inch cover at a resolution of 300 DPI or greater.
- Submissions that are the artwork only (with no title lettering and no design) are permitted,
- Submissions that include the full cover design are also welcome, including submissions that use public domain art. The public domain art must include a documented statement of the history of the public domain art that certifies that it’s in the public domain with no further costs applied to the Contest Owner.
- Submissions that include the full cover design are also welcome, including submissions that use original artwork or artwork designated for the cover of Crown and Jewel with no further costs applied to the Contest Owner.
- Submissions that include artistic deviations created from models and/or staged photographs must include documentation evidence that all rights to use the models/staged photographs have been granted to the artist for submission to this contest with no further costs applied to the Contest Owner.
- To be considered, submissions must reflect the storyline and ethos of Crown and Jewel. It is recommended that contestants read the story before submitting entries. A reduced-price version of the book is available at this URL: http://www.jeriwho.net/shop/?product=crown-and-jewel
It is also available on Amazon.com, which may offer free shipping to some customers: https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Jewel-Bracken-Trilogy-2/dp/153313345X/
Each entry can be submitted by only one person. If elements of your submissions have been produced by others, you must also submit documentation evidence that others have granted you the rights to submit their work as part of your entry submission.
To submit an entry, please do the following:
1. Print and fill out the entry form. Scan it and email it to email@example.com. It must be titled in this format: the first five letters of the Artist’s last name, underscore, first two letters of the Artist’s first name, underscore, followed by the word ENTRY, then .pdf/.jpg/doc/.docx (in whatever format it’s saved.) So the entry form from Brad Johnson would look like JOHNS_BR_ENTRY.pdf. Enter the file title in the Subject line of the email.
Download the Entry Form: Crown and Jewel Entry Form
2. Send in the entry form first as described in Step 1. A dropbox link invitation will be returned to you. Upload final entries and any associated documentation to this Dropbox link:
3. Art is to be uploaded in .PNG format, at 300 DPI or greater.
4. Each illustration file is to be named in the following format: First five letters of the Artist’s last name, underscore, first two letters of the Artist’s first name, followed by .png. For example, Brad Johnson’s submission would be titled JOHNS_BR.png. If a person submits a second entry, the next two spaces would provide the numbering: JOHNS_BR01.png and JOHNS_BR02.png
5. Associated documentation of any rights documentation is to be submitted in Word, using the same naming rules. JOHNS_BR.doc or JOHNS_BR.docx. All rights documentation should be submitted together in the same Word document, per entry.
Entries that fail to comply with the entry rules may simply be rejected without notice sent because nobody will see them. To assure safe delivery of materials, send any questions or follow-up emails to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words ART CONTEST in the title of the email.
Contest ends at midnight on October 1.
Judging and Prizes
The winner of the contest will receive $100 and 10 free copies of Crown and Jewel with the winning entry as cover and agrees to grant all rights of the winning cover to the Contest Owner for unlimited use of the winning cover as both cover and advertisement art for a single run of the cover, without interruption. If a new cover is introduced, rights to the winning cover revert to the artist/illustrator.
Should copies of Crown and Jewel with the winning cover exceed sales of 1,000 copies total or 500 copies within a single year, the Contest Owner will contract to supply the Contest Winner with a 15% royalty on profits from all future sales of the book with the winning cover, paid annually.
Should the publication entity of Crown and Jewel be sold to another rights owner, the Contest Owner will not include the cover in the transaction and will provide information to both parties (Contest Winner and Purchaser of Rights), as asked, in order to reasonably facilitate the sale of the winning cover, if possible.
No Winner Clause – The goal of the contest is to select an entry that will be the next cover for Crown and Jewel. If no entry meets the publishing specifications, the Contest owner reserves the right to declare no winner.